cornerstone of the First Baptist Church was laid in 1825, though
Baptists had been in the Framingham area for more than 50 years
by that time. After the revivals in 1814–1815, the Baptists
decided to build a new house of worship, which was completed in
1826. In 1854, 20 members left First Baptist Church to join other
Baptists in South Framingham and Ashland as they began worship in
South Framingham at a newly built church, which would become known
as Park Street Baptist Church.
The two congregations had a similar history of outreach to the community
and mission to the world. They sponsored missionaries in foreign
lands and served those in need in Framingham. In the 1950s, First
Baptist Church sponsored 3 families from Hungary, and in the 1970s,
Park Street Baptist Church sponsored a Chinese family from Burma.
1998, due to dwindling membership and increasing financial obligations,
the members of Park Street Baptist Church began to worship together
with members of the First Baptist Church. In 2002, the merger was
formalized and the two congregations became one.
Today, the First
Baptist Church in Framingham, located across route 9 from Framingham
State College, is a beacon in this community of worship, education,
and mission. We are creating new ministries and becoming involved
in new outreach programs as we seek to share the message of God’s
love through Jesus Christ with the Town of Framingham and beyond.